Don’t settle for boring green beans! In this quick-and-easy side-dish recipe, onions, roasted red peppers, olives and a sweet and tangy sauce add flavor and interest.”
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- ½ cup bottled roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- ¼ cup sliced pitted ripe olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1½ teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch-long pieces
- 1Heat oil over medium-low heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add onion; cook about 10 minutes or until the onion is very tender and golden brown. Stir in vinegar. Cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes more or until liquid is evaporated. Stir in roasted red peppers, olives, basil, salt and ground pepper. Remove from heat; cover and keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, cook green beans in a small amount of boiling water in a covered large saucepan, about 10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Stir the onion mixture into green beans.