“Take taco night in a new direction with these healthy vegan tacos. We’ve swapped crumbled tofu for the ground beef, without sacrificing any of the savory seasonings you expect in a taco. You can also use the filling in burritos, bowls, taco salads and to top nachos.”
- 1 (16 ounce) package extra-firm tofu, drained, crumbled and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup fresh salsa or pico de gallo
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 8 corn or flour tortillas, warmed
- Pickled radishes for garnish
- 1Combine tofu, tamari (or soy sauce), chili powder, garlic powder and onion powder in a medium bowl. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, mash avocado, mayonnaise, lime juice and salt in a small bowl until smooth.
- 3Serve the taco “meat” with the avocado crema, salsa (or pico de gallo) and lettuce in tortillas. Serve topped with pickled radishes, if desired.